|Sesame flat bread|
|Karen, making the rice and sesame flat bread.|
|Green Thai chicken curry, egg fried rice.|
Thai green chicken curry,
Green chilli, coriander, lemongrass, ginger and coconut milk.
4 spring onions, 3 green chillis, 2 garlic cloves, 2 lemongrass stalks,1 inch ginger
1 inch coriander stalks, 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns, dash of fish sauce, zest of 1 lime, 6 curry leaves.
Crush the seeds in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Blend with the remaining ingredients, adding a little oil or water if necessary.
2 chicken breasts, diced.
25 grams mange tout, sliced.
2 spring onions, sliced.
1 tin coconut milk,
Juice of 1 lime,
1 small bunch chopped fresh coriander,
1 teaspoon brown sugar,
1) Make the curry paste as above.
2) Fry the paste in a little oil until the aromas are released before adding the chicken.
3) Colour the chicken before adding the coconut milk,
4) Bring to the boil and simmer for about 6 to 8 minutes,
5) Add the mange tout and spring onion and cook for further 2 minutes
6) Taste before adding the chopped coriander, a little soy sauce, lime juice and the sugar.
7) Taste again and adjust the seasoning with more lime, soy, fish sauce, or sugar if necessary.
8) Garnish with more chopped coriander, sliced chilli and spring onions.
1) Try adding freshly chopped mint and basil at the end of cooking.
2) Try replacing half the ginger with galangal. (Spicy Thai style ginger)
3) Try adding a few kaffir lime leaves into the curry paste.
4) For a vegetarian option, replace the chicken with butternut squash or aubergine.
Sweet lime and chilli dipping sauce,
Selection of fresh vegetables such as;
Carrot, cauliflower, broccoli, mange tout, babycorn, mushrooms.
For the batter;
75 grams corn flour,
75 grams self raising flour,
50ml fizzy water,
For the dipping sauce;
Juice of 1 lime,
1 red chilli, sliced,
½ spring onion, sliced,
1 tablespoon honey,
1 tablespoon rice vinegar,
1) Heat a pan of oil on a low heat on the stove,
2) Mix the ingredients for the dipping sauce,
3) Coat the vegetables in the flour and set aside,
4) Make the batter by mixing everything in together,
5) Dip the vegetables into the batter and fry for a few minutes until crispy,
6) Serve with the dipping sauce.
1) Try adding chopped fresh basil, mint or coriander into the dipping sauce,
2) For extra texture and flavour, dip the vegetables in sesame seeds or dessicated coconut before frying,
3) Use the same recipe for king prawns or diced chicken breast.
Egg fried rice, ginger and soy sauce,
100 grams basmati rice,
1 cinnamon stick,
4 cardamom pods, crushed,
1 star anise,
Enough water to cover.
½ inch of fresh ginger, grated,
1 spring oniuon, sliced,
Dash soy sauce.
1) Place all the ingredients for the rice in a pan and cover.
2) Bring to the boil and simmer for about ten minutes,
3) Allow to cool,
4) Fry the vegetables in a pan with the egg until the egg is almost set,
6) Break the egg with a spoon and mix with the vegetables.
7) Pour in the cooked rice and stir for a few minutes to heat through,
8) Serve and season with soy sauce.
1) Try adding other vegetables such as peas, peppers and chilli,
2) Add a little ketchup at the last minute for a little sweetness,
3) Add a little turmeric or saffron to the rice when boiling for a vibrant yellow colour.
Sesame seed flat breads,
150 grams strong plain flour,
1 tablespoon natural yoghurt,
2 teaspoons sesame seeds,
1 teaspoon coriander seeds,
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds,
Little water to bind,
Little oil to cook.
1) Mix all the ingredients except the water in a deep bowl,
2) Push the flour to the sides to make a well,
3) Add the water a little at a time until a soft dough is formed,
4) Knead for a few minutes,
5) Allow to rest for about five minutes, keeping the dough covered,
6) Divide equally into balls and roll out thinly,
7) Brush the top side with a little oil and cook in a hot pan, oil side first for about one minute before turning over.
8) Cook for a further minute,
9) Serve straight away.
1) Try adding extra spices to the dough, such as: Garlic, ginger, fresh coriander and chilli.
CHEF LESSONS, MAIN PAGE