I really love cooking with sweet chilli sauce!!! It is so versatile, working great as a dipping sauce, BBQ marinade, a glaze for meat or fish or to bind stir fried vegetables and noodles. I have been making my own now for some time, taking the best bits from several recipes I have used over the years and making my own version which is full of fresh flavour and is really simple too! It keeps really well and I have made it several weeks in advance and kept it in the fridge in an airtight container.
1 Red Pepper,
2 Red Chilli Peppers,
2 Inches Fresh Ginger,
2-4 Cloves Fresh garlic,
1 Cup Caster sugar,
1 Cup Rice Vinegar,
Pinch of Salt.
1) Finely dice all vegetable ingredients,
2) Place the sugar, vinegar and vegetable ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil,
3) Simmer until reduced and thickened.
ChefGary's Top tips,
1) For a quicker method, roughly chop the ingredients and blend at the end of the cooking process,
2) Reduce the sauce further for a more jam like consistency,
3) Try adding some finely shredded lemon grass or a squeeze of fresh lime for additional flavour,
4) For extra heat, use more chilli or leave the seeds in,
4) Always taste as you go, adjusting the quantities to your taste.