12 February 2011

READY, STEADY, COOK! Curry night

Last night, our friends hosted a dinner party with a difference. For a while we had been contemplating on having an evening together where they would buy the ingredients and I would come round and cook for everyone. We planned that I wouldn't find out what the ingredients would be until I arrived. I often help out in the kitchen, even when I am not hosting and as I love to share my skills in the kitchen, I have been really looking forwards to it.
    
We arrived at about 7:45p.m and waiting for me were two shopping bags filled with goodies.
When I looked inside, I had the following;


Chicken breasts,                                        
King prawns,
Pak choi,
Coconut milk,
Yoghurt,
Rice,
Tomatoes,
New potatoes,
Onion,
Peppers,
Lemons,
Garlic, chillies, ginger, coriander,
Soy sauce.



I was really chuffed with the bag as I was fully expecting to be given some really random ingredients that I would perhaps struggle to bring together for dinner. I had brought a few spices with me from my cupboard at home just incase I needed them. Two of us were non meat eaters and one has an allergy to prawns, so I decided that it would be great to make a few different curries. The potatoes were a bit of an odd ball so I decided to roast them in the oven with some garlic, lemon and paprika. We could snack on them while we were waiting or could just put them in the middle of the table.

I then began the curry dishes by marinating some of the chicken with garlic, chilli, ginger, garam masala and yoghurt. I put this into the oven to roast.
I then started on a Thai style curry sauce by frying some onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and cumin seeds, before adding coconut milk and bringing to the boil.
In another pan, I saute the remaining chicken (that I diced) with chilli, garlic and ginger. I spiced this quite heavily and added turmeric, tomatoes and yoghurt. I left this to simmer while I prepared the vegetables for a stir fry.
I finished the Thai curry sauce with fresh coriander and lemon juice, before dividing it in two. Half was for the prawns and the other was for the chicken pieces that were roasting in the oven.
I left the stir fry until last and used the remaining garlic, chilli, onion, peppers and pak choi. I finished this with soy sauce.


Final menu.

Thai king prawn curry,
coconut milk, ginger and fresh coriander.

Thai chicken curry, 
coconut milk, ginger and fresh coriander.

Spicy chicken curry,
cumin, red chilli, tomato and yoghurt.

Stir fried pak choi and mixed peppers with soy and garlic.

Roasted new potatoes, garlic, lemon and paprika.


To follow,
Angela's very special chocolate and vanilla cheesecake, 
Cheese board.



Roast new potatoes, garlic, lemon and paprika

Banquet table

Thai king prawn curry

Stir fry pak choi and peppers, garlic and soy sauce

My plate of food
The dinner guests.




ChefGary

No comments:

Post a Comment